Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Promising more than just 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas'

I've received approx 70 submissions at this stage, and though well short of the 333 I am aiming for, it feels like the goal is slowly becoming a reality.

What is interesting though is the lack of submissions on 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas'. A number of people mentioned that they didn't want to write the hundredth piece on this monumental opus, but for me, the true irony is that I have to date only received ONE composition on this long immortalized platter.

Considering the common thread among authors who have written pieces based on one of the first records that exposed them to the BM genre, it is surprising that more haven't chosen 'Mysteriis' as their ultimate weapon of choice. I would feel confident to argue that this record would have been responsible for turning many people on to BM; whether for its musical construct alone, or for the events surrounding it.

It still appears a controversial record. Perhaps this perpetuates the fascination with the events from '91 - '93 in Norway. How many records really materialize under such circumstances? Its not so common now to hear commentary about how superior the record would have been had Dead performed on it; even that dubious "If The Light Takes Us" doco didn't seem to go too deeply into that. Maybe Dead's absence on it actually enabled its legacy to flourish - the whole "what could have been" idea.

If you are reading this, I want to reiterate that the most important detail when nominating a record to write about is to actually profile that which means most to you. This is the primary concern of this project. I also thought it worth mentioning that while I don't want a hundred submissions about Mayhem, I'm hoping for more perspectives than the one I have so far received. Maybe there will be another two or three that will balance things out for me...

I hope to add some more previews soon, but in the instance you haven't seen those posted thus far, here they are: Black Metal Revolution Previews

No comments:

Post a Comment